My big sister’s friend was throwing a “girls night sleepover” at her new apartment. The host asked that each girl bring two of their favorite drinks. My sister doesn’t drink as much as her little sister (me!), so I decided to help her out. I find that Jello shots makes the party come alive and remind me of my early college days. Jello alone kinda bring out the kid inside of us, which went with the theme of the sleepover.
Making simple one flavor jello shots was not going to cut it. I decided to make rainbow jello shots, which can be more time consuming. In the end, it’s one beautiful shot.
Let’s get started: (Using 3 oz cups) Serves: 20 cups
- 4 boxes of regular Jell-o. The four favors I used are Strawberry, Tropical Pineapple, Lime, and Berry Blue. Use any flavors that will best compliment the liquor. (I find using sugar-free jell-o doesn’t compliment/mask the taste of alcohol very well.)
- Vodka. Depending how strong you want to make this shot will determine your volume size. I estimate that I used about a quarter of a pint.
- Plastic portion cups. I couldn’t find 2 oz cups, which would’ve been the ideal shot size.
- Hot Water
- Cold Water
- Heat safe bowl
- Something to pour the jello into the portion cups. (I used a protein shake cup similar to a Blender bottle)
What to do:
I made two layers non-alcoholic and the other two alcoholic. I wasn’t sure how strong to make it, because I didn’t know if her friends love to drink.
- Follow the directions on the back of the jello box.
- Pour a small layer of jello mix to each portion cup.
- Put into fridge for about an hour.
- When firm, pour another layer.
- In a heat safe bowl, add 1 cup of hot water to 1 packet of jello mix.
- Stir for 2 minutes straight or until jello mix is dissolved.
- Wait until mixture reaches room temperature. (Usually around 10-15 minutes) If mixture it too hot, it will evaporate the alcohol.
- Add 6 oz (3/4 cup) vodka
- Add 2 oz (1/4 cup) cold water
- Pour a small layer of jello mix to each portion cup
- Put into fridge for about an hour
- When firm, pour another layer
- To cool your jello mix faster, put the bowl in the freezer for about 5-7 minutes.
- Put all the portion cups onto a tray for easy access
- Make sure each jello layer is firm. If not, the different flavors will melt into each other.
- Can be made three days before your event.
- Right before serving, dip each portion cup into a hot cup of water. The heat will slightly melt the gelatin, which will make the shot pop right out.
- Buy portion cups with lids. It will keep everything nice and clean.